Evening talks programme
Monkton Community Church & Pioneer Cafe
On the Tuesdays detailed below at 7pm, for 7.30pm start
• 10 Dec 2013 Members’ Night – Mull trip and Angus Hogg (Tigers)
• 14 Jan 2014 Andrew Stevenson – Raptors of Uist & Barra
• 04 Feb 2014 Davy McCracken – Title to be confirmed
• 11 Mar 2014 Chris Wernham – Atlas results and trends
• 08 Apr 2014 AGM & Norman Lawrie – New Zealand birds
For at least twelve years now, the branch has organised their field trips jointly with RSPB Central Ayrshire Local Group and outdoor leader Jim Thomson. There are two coach trips organised annually- one in winter and one in late spring. Members attending our monthly outings will have the benefit of an experienced observer who will be on hand to help with some of the trickier aspects of field identification.
• Sat 26 Oct 2013 – Mersehead
• Sat 23 Nov 2013 – Loch Leven & Kinross area coach trip
• Sat 7 Dec 2013 – Loch Ryan
• Sat 18 Jan 2014 - Ken Dee Marshes & Bellymack Red Kites
• Sat 15 Feb 2014 – Doonfoot & Greenan
• Sat 15 Mar 2014 – Castle Kennedy Gardens
• Sat 26 Apr 2014 – Dumfries House
• Sat 24 – Tues 27 May 2014 – Yorkshire weekend coach trip
• Sat 21 Jun 2014 – Wood of Cree
Jim Thomson, 01292 570351, or Tony Scott for coach trip details on 01292 281085.
Trips are in conjunction with RSPB Central Ayrshire Local Group on a car-share basis.
About the branch
Anne Dick, Rowanmyle House, Tarbolton, Mauchline, KA5 5LU, Tel 01292 541981
Chair and representative of the branch on SOC Council:
Al Barker, Patrick Gibbs, Tony Scott, Duncan Watt
Click here to download the latest issue of the branch’s newsletter, The Stonechat, which is produced three times a year. If you would like to be added to the electronic mailing list please contact Tony Scott.
Birdwatching in Ayrshire
SOC Ayrshire branch sponsors a local website, www.ayrshire-birding.org.uk, which contains a wealth of information about birdwatching in Ayrshire as well as information on the branch.
Bird recording in this area
Visit the Ayrshire recording area page for details of the latest bird report, back issues, species considered locally and for Local Recorder contact information.
Current branch developments
A survey of Ayrshire’s coastal population of Stonechat is planned for March 2013 and expected to run into July 2013. Areas of the Ayrshire coast have been sectioned off and matched with a volunteer observer for the purposes of finding out:
a) Which sections have regained their breeding birds (after the 2010-11 winter crash)
b) What the success rate for these birds is
c) Which major gaps in the distribution (cf pre-2010) still exist
Results of the survey will be added when available however if you would like to find out more about it, please contact Angus Hogg.
‘Ayrshire Birders Abroad’
These most popular holidays have taken SOC and RSPB members, as well as interested local birders, to a wide variety of places both in Europe and further afield. This year Ayrshire Birders Abroad are planning a trip to Tarifa in September, for the autumn migration in 2013. Further information can be found in the latest issue of the branch newsletter, available to download above.