Lothian is currently the largest SOC branch, with over 500 members from across the region. We hold monthly meetings and field trips throughout most of the year. We also have a discussion group, where we consider local conservation issues and organise survey work.
Evening talks programme
The Guide Hall, 33 Melville Street, Edinburgh, except those marked with an asterisk, which are at Waterston House, Aberlady.
On the following Tuesdays at 7.30pm:
• 11 Mar 2014 Jeremy Greenwood – Pesticides, Peregrines & politics: Another triumph for birdwatchers (Aberlady)*
• 08 Apr 2014 AGM & Members’ Night
These take place in most months of the year; usually on a Saturday or Sunday. They are full-day trips, so please bring a packed lunch and stout footwear. Transport may be possible on a car-share basis.
- Sun 19 Jan Linlithgow Loch and Kinneil Kerse (Marjorie Adams and Morag King)
- Sun 16 Feb Scone Palace (Tom Gillies)
- Sun 16 Mar Tentsmuir Forest & Morton Lochs (David Atkins)
- Thu 17 Apr Braco and Glen Lednock (Sid Morgan and Marjorie Adams)
- Sun 27 Apr Penicuik Estate and Roslin Glen (John Maclean)
- Thu 8 May Dawn chorus, Gosford (Doreen and James Main)
- Sun 18 May Moorfoot Hills (Tom Gillies)
- Sun 8 Jun St Abb’s Head (Richard Leslie)
Gillian Herbert, 0131 337 0767, or SOC HQ, for details.
About the branch
Doreen Main, Seatoller, Broadgait, Gullane, EH31 2DH, Tel 01620 844532
Chair and representative of the branch on SOC Council:
Gillian Herbert (outings), Marjorie Adams, Morag King, John MacLean, Cherle Smith
Birdwatching in the Lothians
Click here to download the SOC’s free guide: Birdwatching on the East Lothian coast
Bird recording in the Lothians
Visit the Lothian recording area page for details of the latest bird report, back issues, species considered locally and the latest Lothian Bird Records Committee decisions and for Local Recorder contact information.
Volunteering at Waterston House
Lothian Bird Bulletin
Click here to download Lothian Branch’s newsletter (most recent & back-issues).
South-East Scotland Bird Atlas
Lothian and Borders regions have joined forces to run a local Bird Atlas project in parallel with the national 2007-11 Bird Atlas. For more details, including information on how to take part and preliminary species maps, see the South-East Scotland Bird Atlas website at www.the-soc.org.uk/se-atlas.
Lothian Discussion Group
The group meets at Waterston House on the first Wednesday of each month, from September to April, to discuss topical ornithological-related items, share survey results and plan upcoming survey work.
Meetings start at 7:30pm. Contact Mark Holling for more information.
2010 Edinburgh Film Festival
In June 2010 we were invited to join the stars on the red carpet at the world premiere of Pelican Blood, a film about sex, violence, and twitching! Below is a snapshot of the event!