Evening talks programme
Details of the 2013/2014 winter talks programme will be added shortly
Methodist Church Halls, 20 Marketgait, Dundee
On the following Thursdays at 7.30pm:
• 06 Mar 2014 Alan Stewart – Wildlife crime in Scotland
• 03 Apr 2014 AGM and Jonathan Pinnick – The Ospreys of Loch of the Lowes
- Sun 10 Nov: Angus Lochs. Meet at Crichton Street at 9.00am or Forfar Loch Community Centre car park at 10.00am. (George Rodger 01382 816107.)
- Sun 12 Jan: Wader watch. Meet at S Balmossie Street at 9.45am. (Grant Balfour.)
- Sun 16 Feb: Scone Palace and Argaty Red Kite Centre. Meet at Crichton Street at 9.00am or Quarry Mill, Perth at 10.00am. (Eric McCabe 01738 622269.)
- Sun 16 Mar: Montreathmont Forest Hide and Montrose Basin. Meet at Crichton Street at 9.00am or Montrose Basin car park at 10.00am (Bob McCurley)
- Sun 27 Apr: Glen Clova. Short walk past Moulzie (George Rodger) or more strenuous walk to Bachnagairn (Gus Guthrie 01575 574548), hill walking footwear and warm waterproof clothing essential. Meet at RSPB Loch of Kinnordy car park at 10.00am to arrange car sharing.
- Wed 14 May: Glen Lethnot. Meet at Crichton Street at 9.00am or Edzell village car park at 10.00am. (Gus Guthrie.)
- Sun 25 May: Isle of May. Date to be confirmed after 1 Jan 2014 once tides are known – contact Bob McCurley to book.
All meetings are joint with ADBC.
Brian Brocklehurst 01382 778348 or leader (particularly if transport is required). All meets are joint with ADBC.
About the branch
Chair and representative of the branch on SOC Council:
Angus and Dundee recorder and Technical Expert:
Perth and Kinross recorder:
Birdwatching in Tayside
Bird recording in this area
Kinross Bird Atlas
During the fieldwork for BirdAtlas 2007-11, data for the old county of Kinross has been gathered from all of its 71 tetrads. The fieldwork is almost finished but mopping up in the current 2012 breeding season will take place. Any observer birding in the region is invited to submit as many breeding season records as possible to the BirdTrack or BirdAtlas websites, ideally adding breeding status codes for every record, which can be found on the websites. All records should be at tetrad level. If anyone is unsure where the northern boundary of the old county lies (not marked on current maps), the most northerly tetrads covered are NO00D, NO00I, NO00N, NO00U, NO00Z, NO10E, NO10J & NO10P. The remainder of the boundary is the current Perth & Kinross boundary. Records from the 10km square NO00 will be particularly valuable. Any queries should be directed to Norman Elkins.
BTO Winter Thrush survey
Tayside branch members are also much involved with the Winter Thrush 2 year survey being run by the BTO – running from September 2012 to April 2013 and repeated again from September 2013 to April 2014. Visit the BTO website for more information http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/winter-thrushes