We are making plans to reopen Waterston House at 10am on Thursday 29th April 2021, subject to further announcements from the Scottish Government. Any updates will be posted on this page.
Helping to stop the spread of Covid-19
For your safety and that of our staff and volunteers, we ask all visitors to note the social distancing and hygiene measures currently in place when Waterston House reopens:
- Restricted car parking spaces (8)
- No toilet facilities – the nearest public toilets are at the car park at Aberlady Bay Nature Reserve
- One-way system in the grounds and inside – follow the signs
- Disabled visitors – please use the main path and ring the bell at the office window for assistance
- The boardwalk to the pond is open – please follow the one-way system (clockwise)
- A maximum of three people at any one time in the foyer
- A maximum of three people at any one time in the gallery (subject to the foyer restrictions above)
- Face coverings must be worn inside the premises, in accordance with Scottish Government guidelines
- Payment by card (contactless) preferred
- Please use hand sanitiser before browsing the books and place unwanted items on the dedicated blue trolley for staff to transfer to our dedicated quarantine area
- Browsing of cards and prints is also permitted. Please use hand sanitiser beforehand
- Please avoid handling other items on display and ask staff for assistance (e.g. craftwork, mugs, birdfeeders etc)
- Use of the SOC library is by appointment only
- Book donations gratefully received but please contact the office in advance to arrange delivery
- Catch it, bin it, kill it: Use a tissue (or the crook of your elbow) to catch coughs and sneezes, dispose of any tissues immediately in a bin and sanitise your hands
- Hand sanitiser stations and tissues in place throughout the building
- Please do not visit Waterston House if you are feeling ill. For information on recognising symptoms of Covid-19 and what to do, click here.
A risk assessment has been carried out and can be viewed here.
Getting to Waterston House is easy with a variety of road, rail and bus routes available.
Our Headquarters address
01875 871 330
We are making plans to reopen Waterston House to visitors on Thursday 29th April, and thereafter will be open Thursdays–Sundays 10am–4pm. Any updates will be posted on this page.
Office staff can be reached 9am–5pm Monday to Friday.
When we reopen, entry to the centre is free and all are welcome.
Getting here (road)
From Edinburgh / A1: Waterston House is a scenic half hour's drive from the centre of Edinburgh. Find us immediately off the A198 coastal road, on your left after the 30MPH road sign, just before you enter the village of Aberlady.
From North Berwick: If coming from the direction of North Berwick, go through Aberlady village and as you leave, you'll see a bowling green on your right hand side. We are the next turn-in on your right after the bowling green.
Getting here (public transport)
Visit Traveline Scotland to plan your journey via public transport or call 0871 200 22 33.
By bus: East Coast Bus X24/124 from Edinburgh passes the entrance way to Waterston House. Ask the driver for the ‘Pleasance, Aberlady’. When you’re ready to return home, the bus stop back is right across the road. Visit East Coast Buses to plan your journey and for ticket information.
Page header image © Steve Cox